Re: Intel Haswell support - Any updates?

From: Jean-Sébastien Pédron <dumbbell_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 19:00:15 +0200
Hi everyone!

I'm very sorry I didn't communicate at all on the i915 update project.

So here is a status update: since this morning, the driver builds fine.
I'm currently attending the XDC (X.Org Developers Conference) and don't
have an Intel laptop to test with me. However, Johannes Dieterich (also
attending the conference) offerred his help, so we will do that today.

Obviously, do not expect something stable in the coming couple days.
Thank you for your patience :)

To answer various questions in this thread:

Why does it take so much time to update? Once Konstantin committed his
i915 update, I was busy with non-FreeBSD activities until last July,
when I slowly started back to work on i915. My goal is to reduce the
diff with Linux as much as possible. But, as opposed to OpenBSD and
DragonFlyBSD, we do not use a Linux compatibility layer which would
dramatically ease our life.

This layer exists for the OFED/Infiniband drivers: we are almost ready
to move it to a central place, so we can use it in the near future in
the DRM subsystem.

Another problem I will fix in the near future is the method I used: I
worked on a giant patch instead of doing several incremental commits.
This is unfriendly for external contributors and hard to review.
DragonFly got that right for instance.

Now about other related tasks:
    o  A Mesa update will be committed Real Soon Now™. It will unlock
       GLAMOR and OpenCL support.
    o  Once Mesa is updated, we can update xserver to 1.17.2. xserver
       1.18 RC 1 works fine (at least for me :). It should be released
       for Halloween.
    o  Wayland. The problem is NOT the output side of the graphics
       stack: it is the input part. We miss evdev (ported as a GSoC,
       waiting for review and commit), we miss udev, we miss libinput.
       This item deserves a dedicated email.

Sorry, it's a bit short for such a large topic. It's difficult to expand
more during a conference :)

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron