Re: dumpdev in loader.conf vs rc.d/dumpon

From: Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 23:15:07 +0200
On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 12:11:51AM +0300, Slawa Olhovchenkov wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 10:58:00PM +0200, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:

> > > rc.d script can redirect dump to device, not available at boot time,
> > > iSCSI disk, for examle.
> >
> > No. Dump device is very special. It runs in an environment when kernel
> > already paniced, there are no interrupt, so there is no networking.
> > Storage controllers have special methods to handle dumping kernel memory
> > - it doesn't go through GEOM, it cannot go through GEOM as the scheduler
> > doesn't work too.
>
> Can be ZFS VOL act as dump device?

I don't think so. IIRC there was a hack in Illumos to allocate
contiguous space for dump in one of the vdevs (then I think it was
extended to multiple vdevs). I don't think any ZFS feature has worked
for such a ZVOL (no checksumming, no compression, etc.).

Others may have more up-to-date info about that.

FreeBSD committer                         http://www.FreeBSD.org
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://mobter.com