Re: Add isboot iSCSI boot driver to FreeBSD

From: Daisuke Aoyama <aoyama_at_peach.ne.jp>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 08:46:53 +0900
Hi,

First of all, thank you for using isboot.

> The basic problem with isboot is that it only works with the old iSCSI
> initiator, which is now marked obsolete.  AFAIK there is no ready solution

It's started in FreeBSD 7.1.
I plan to use initiator functions at 2010.
However, I didn't know how to access it.

For more, first post on blog(Japanese):
http://shell.peach.ne.jp/aoyama/archives/1179

Now isboot has own limited builtin initiator to handle login sequence.
isboot will continue to use it instead of switching to iSCSI initiator.

So I think current problem is header file (structure in it) only.
You don't need load iscsi_initiator.ko even if you use FreeBSD 10.

I have removed these header files in 0.2.11 release.
It is not so difficult compared to that to rewrite the code.
Of course, I should replace the code later...

http://www.peach.ne.jp/archives/isboot/isboot-0.2.11.tar.gz
http://www.peach.ne.jp/archives/isboot/demo/FreeBSD-10.2-RELEASE-amd64-memstick-isboot-0.2.11.img

You can boot/install with the demo and empty disk. (see attached N4F/istgt config image)

build test(not jail host):
  8.4, 9.3, 10.2, 11-current.
boot/install test:
  NAS4Free 10.2.0.2(istgt) + FreeBSD 10.2 memstick + VBox + iPXE(iso).

--
Daisuke Aoyama