Re: GENERIC-NODEBUG panics, GENERIC does not

From: Vladimir Zakharov <zakharov.vv_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 17:11:54 +0300
On Fri, Apr 15, 2016, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 02:38:18PM +0300, Vladimir Zakharov wrote:

> > > I cannot reproduce it locally.
> > > Please provide me verbose dmesg from the successfull boot on your machine.
> >
> > GENERIC with kern.eventtimer.periodic=1: http://pastebin.com/raw/TB0TKSje
> > GENERIC-NODEBUG: http://pastebin.com/raw/05CchraS
> I need _verbose_ dmesg.  I need the reports about LAPICs initializations,
> with register dumps.

dmesg before patching (kern.eventtimer.periodic is not set to avoid
panic):
http://pastebin.com/raw/CnJ911gX

dmesg for patched kernel (kern.eventtimer.periodic = 1):
http://pastebin.com/raw/9Azz9LxT

> > > Also, for the panic, show me the output of the same data as on the
> > > screenshot and the output of 'show registers'.
> >
> > https://imgur.com/pO8Yc3w
> Ok, this seems to be yet another case of missed count mode divisor
> initialization. Please try the patch at the end of the messasge.

Patched kernel doesn't panic anymore. Thanks.

> > > Also please load your kernel into kgdb and do
> > > list *lapic_et_start+0x281
> By 'your kernel' I mean 'your panicing kernel'.
It _was_ panicing kernel. Than not sure what you meant. There is no any
dump/core files because dumpdev is not configured yet at the moment of
panic. What should I do to retrieve the required information?
I've simply run: $ kgdb /boot/kernel/kernel

--
Regards,                 | "In theory there is no difference between theory
  Vladimir Zakharov      | and practice. In practice there is."- Yogi Berra