Re: Heads up

From: Maxim Sobolev <sobomax_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 11:14:55 -0700
On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 10:30 AM, Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 11:25 AM, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax_at_freebsd.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Conrad, yes, you can, but sticking it into FreeBSD source tree IMHO
>> restricts your options somewhat. If it's your private code you can easily
>> put F-world into it and nobody obviously cares apart from your co-workers
>> and your boss. Would probably be considered highly inappropriate by most to
>> merge it into a public one, so "whatever your like" rule has its limits.
>>

> The name isn't obscene or offensive.

I did not really  say or imply it is. What I was trying to do is taking
Conrad's general argument to the extreme to show it's not true generally
speaking. Showing that "you can name whatever you like" rule has at least
one exception (i.e. selected word is obscene or offensive) IMHO is
sufficient to claim that there might be other exception to it too.
Mathematical proof logic 101.

>> Also, apart from being not very suggestive as to what this option
>> actually does, let's not forget that "Netflix" is probably registered as a
>> trademark and whatnot in North America at least, if not worldwide. I am not
>> a lawyer, but I suspect using it might have some ramifications for our
>> ability to name things using this name.
>>

> Probably not. This is a weak argument. It's a descriptive use of the word,
> and not being used to market or sell video streaming services or DVD rental
> by mail.

Probably, but it also probably true is that neither you nor I have
 necessary expertise to say for sure. We also could not know and have
little control on how this name is going to be used by 3rd parties in the
future. For example, I'd imagine at some point it would go into release
notes of the 11.0 and that would give it much wider exposure. Again,
speaking totally hypothetically and way out of my arse, would presence of
"NETFLIX" in there limit abilities of FreeBSD-based vendors to re-use those
notes in *their* marketing materials if they are actually engaged in
services directly competing with Netflix co?

> If "SSDNG" is not a good name, I'd suggest coming up with some other name
>> that is neutral and also has some hints as to its functionality. For
>> example, CAM_IOCHED_LOW_LAT or something.
>>

> Also a horrible name. It's a generic I/O scheduler. It can do lots of
> things. I keep saying that, and categorically refuse to name the more
> expansive scheduler anything that's so limiting.

How about  CAM_IOCHED_IMP then? "IMP" can stand for imp_at_freebsd or
"improved", so it won't rot.  :)

-Max