Re: [CFT] packaging the base system with pkg(8)

From: Lev Serebryakov <lev_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 21:52:21 +0300
On 03.03.2016 02:54, Glen Barber wrote:

> At present, the base system consists of 755 packages with the default
> build (empty src.conf(5) and make.conf(5)) for amd64.  The number of
> packages depends on several factors, but for most cases a runtime binary
> is split into several components.  In particular, most shared libraries
> are individually packaged, in addition to debugging symbols, profiling
> libraries, and 32-bit packaged separately.
 I understand, that maybe it is too late, but ARE YOU KIDDING?! 755
packages?! WHY?! What are reasons and goals to split base in such
enormous number of packages?

  I understand debug symbols as separate package (one for almost whole
base, except several "contrib" parts), I could understand separate
package with all static libs (again, ONE package for all system static
libraries) and headers. I could understand separate packages for SEVERAL
"contrib" chunks: sendmail (it is often replaced by postfix / exim now),
kerberos, toolchain and, maybe, unbound.

 But extract EACH WITH_XXX feature to several separate packages? It
looks like nightmare. IMHO, it is very inconvenient for "default"
installation and it doesn't look as good replacement to NanoBSD. NanoBSD
is much more customized, typically.

 I don't have THAT number of packages even on "workstation"-like setup
with X and some desktop software now, leave sever installation alone.
And I don't see, how could this fragmentation could help me, as
administrator. But it adds load to "pkg", to many pkg-related scripts,
to "pkg version" output, at last!

 Why, or why, such fine-grained splitting (or should I say "shattering")
of base was chosen? Is here good rationale for this?

--
// Lev Serebryakov