Re: [CFT] packaging the base system with pkg(8)

From: Alfred Perlstein <alfred_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 14:29:15 -0700
Guys please stop arguing about the number of packages.  The high
granularity is VERY useful!

Managing large groups of small packages is much easier than just having
large packages.

All this can be done by meta-packages which depend on larger package groups.

Later pkg can be augmented to "remove packages not explicitly installed"
which would remove leaf packages.

Example: you installed "base-debug" which pulls in let's say 50 small
packages, later you want all of those removed, you can do something
like:  "pkg delete --leafs base-debug" which should delete "base-debug"
and any dangling packages it pulled in not required by other pkgs.

Huge thanks to the team that implemented this!

thanks.
-Alfred