Re: [CFT] packaging the base system with pkg(8)

From: Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon_at_orthanc.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 18:24:11 -0700
On 2016-04-18 5:09 PM, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
> I'm not so sure about these statements. Maintaining groups of packages
> can be easier, but it can be also be harder. The goal is to find the
> right level. And I haven't seen a case where an 800-packages level of
> granularity is helpful.

Not to mention regression testing. The number of combinations of
installed packages is going to be choose(1, 800) + chose(2, 800) + ... +
choose(800, 800).  And while some of those combinations will be
non-nonsensical, many(!) won't. There aren't enough seconds in the
universe to test all the viable combinations for one single release.

If fact, I would suggest a good metric for package granularity be based
on the set of combinations that *can* be tested in a realistic timeframe
for each release.

--lyndon