Re: [CFT] packaging the base system with pkg(8)

From: Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon_at_orthanc.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 19:23:07 -0700
On 2016-04-18 7:01 PM, Roger Marquis wrote:
> Can you explain what would be accomplished by testing all or even a
> fraction of the possible permutations of base package combinations?  We
> don't do that for ports.

The ports tree isn't a mandatory part of the system. And by definition
it could not be tested that way, since it offers so many alternative
implementations of specific functionality.

> Other operating systems don't do that for
> their base packages.

I'm pretty sure Solaris had some fairly hard-core regression tests to
ensure basic system functionality wouldn't be compromised by 'oddball'
selections of packages offered up at install time.

 > Honestly, some of us are wondering what exactly is
 > behind some of these concerns regarding base packages.

The concern is from all of us UNIX dinosaurs who predate the
fine-grained packaging environment, which just worked, and who now rip
our (little remaining) hair out due to unsolvable package dependency
loops in the Linux machines we are forced to administer in order to pay
rent.  For me, as a sysadmin, I derive a negative benefit from this
optimization.

I guess what I'm really asking is: where is the peer reviewed research
that shows this actually improves things for the not-1% of FreeBSD users?

--lyndon

P.S.  Don't turn this into a pissing match.  I really want to know how
this is of net benefit to everyone.  But I don't want hyperbole.  I have
looked at a lot of, e.g., USENIX and ACM, bibliographies and papers for
justification for this, and I can't find it.  It would really help (me,
at least) if someone could take a moment to point me at demonstrable
evidence of the benefits of this model.