Re: [CFT] packaging the base system with pkg(8)

From: dan_partelly <dan_partelly_at_rdsor.ro>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 12:18:00 +0300
For what is worth, I agree with Julian Elischer. I do not
want to see hundreds of packages over tenths of screen pages.

Computers are supposed to make our life simpler. Human time is
very expensive. CPU time, almost free. And this include that I really
shouldn't have to think for usual work of any grep, sed , regexpes,
pkg --leafs whatever. The default high level output of a tool like pkg
should
be as terse as possible. You guys seen the "Add remove programs"
 in Windows control panel ? Thats sane. Even now the default output
of pkg borders insane, when you have many packages installed. 99% of my
time
I dont really care about lib-rtyum546.78.9. I care only less than 1% of my
time when something
goes wrong.

The program | filter pipeline of Unix is very powerful. Whats more
powerful is
SANE DEFAULTS to make filters completely unnecessary. The open source Unix
world has a lot
to learn from Cupertino and Redmond. Keep things simple please. DO not
pollute my screens
with unnecessary information. When Ill want that info, Ill ask for it with
a command line flag,
then maybe filter it if necessary.