Re: [CFT] packaging the base system with pkg(8)

From: Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 13:36:02 -0700
On 04/19/16 13:26, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> --------
> In message <1461096962.1232.32.camel_at_freebsd.org>, Ian Lepore writes:
>
>> Oh yeah, now I remember:  Because in freebsd, design is decided by a
>> race to commit rather than by discussion.
> No, that's not it.
>
> It is because code talks much louder than words.

This is kind of a silly argument here since the code change is trivial.
There is a potentially large impact on the system that merits
discussion. Moreover, there is a whole bunch of other code still needs
to be written to make this workable in production that depends to some
degree on what choices are made here: what does pkg show for these? How
do upgrades work? The installer needs modifications to use pkg instead
of tar. It's not clear what the migration path to/from a packaged system
is, since the packaging is apparently optional.

If it would help, I am happy to generate a patch to make the discussion
concrete.
-Nathan