Re: [CFT] packaging the base system with pkg(8)

From: Slawa Olhovchenkov <slw_at_zxy.spb.ru>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 12:48:06 +0300
On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 12:00:36PM +0300, Dan Partelly wrote:

> IMO,  the number of packages per-se is not a problem as long as you
> can manage them without arcane commands, aliases, pipe - filters,
> or scripts. (they all have their place, but less , the better)  My
> point is that I don't really want to keep on my head a Unix hacker
> hat. I (and presumably many other humans ) like simple things,which
> allow me to type a short command (preferably the whole system should
> be simple enough to be explained in one-two pages in handbook) ,
> wait for completion, and get on with my life.

Yes and no.
While number of packages don't see outside internal -- this is
irrelevant.
After possibility of update individual package -- nuber of packages is
impotant.
Take fresh 11.0. Before 11.1 update only kernel. What you system have?
11.0? 11.1-RC3? How you name it? How identify it for take support on
forum or mail list?

How name system, updated all w/o compiler? or only some services?
Currently we have simple naming:

10.3-RC1, 10.3-RELEASE, 10.3-p7, 10.3-STABLE r123456.
This is shortly and clearly identify system to anyone.

How do this with many packages?
I am describe in -pkgbase expirence of updating system.
How I am can naming this (my) system?

Solaris don't ship new version often and don't have rollover updates.

I think, first step may be split to only two package (kernel and
world) and resolve many other issuses: distinc base packages from port
packages, beadm compatibility, /etc and config updates (/etc/rc.d is
not config but currently allowed to editing, this is distinct from
plain ports configs) and others. After expirence with this next step
will be more clear.