Re: [CFT] packaging the base system with pkg(8)

From: Lev Serebryakov <lev_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 15:58:04 +0300
On 20.04.2016 11:12, David Chisnall wrote:

> all of the complaints in this thread have been about the UI, not about the underlying mechanism.
  Nope. And there are (small) thread in other mailing list with very big
concerns about underlying mechanisms, which doesn't have any attention:

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pkgbase/2016-April/000183.html

  It is very worrying to see such reports without any reaction from
developers in one month before release. If there is one year till
release, it is nothing. But in one month we will have code slush, and
after that — release, which should be supported for several years!

 Also, suggested (and totally ignored in discussion) mechanisms with
overlay packages is not UI, it is underlying mechanism which could be
very useful.

  Again, I have nothing against good package management for base. But
what I see now is scary, if you take one-month-before-release in account!

--
// Lev Serebryakov