new content: [ buildworld fixed ] now network drops out daily

From: Jeffrey Bouquet <jbtakk_at_iherebuywisely.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 06:22:04 -0700 (PDT)
----- Start Forwarded Message -----
Sent: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 14:10:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Jeffrey Bouquet" <jbtakk_at_iherebuywisely.com>
To: "current" <current_at_freebsd.org>
Subject: Re: Re:  Installworld, BW, IK fixed, here are the in > out
 loader.conf lines

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 13:29:59 -0700 (PDT), "Jeffrey Bouquet" <jbtakk_at_iherebuywisely.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 18:37:45 -0700 (PDT), "Jeffrey Bouquet" <jbtakk_at_iherebuywisely.com> wrote:

> > > Well, it is now r298350 Wed Apr 20...
> > > However several problems
> > >
> > > SINGLE-USER BOOT PROBLEMS
> > > 1... usual boot fails, this is single-user adjusted, but I cannot add swap (swapon? swapctl?)
> > > 1a...  the last time, it was fixed with using the old /kernel ...
> > >
> > > multi-user boot problems
> > >
> > > 2... the last usual boot dumped with vm_pager or something,  verbose boot times out with xpt_config not completing.
> > > 2a.... could be a wrong setting is loader.conf, the nvidia.ko not yet updated (which it now is ) for the latter
> > >   case I have yet to reboot to test
> > >   2b...   Reboot to test takes longer, /rescue/mount each filesystem individually...
> > >

> > > As one might surmise, I'd rather see buildworld made more foolproof than other recent improvements
> > > (pkg, zfs, ...)
> >
> > From backup, I have r288246 kernel and nvidia.ko  (v11)
> > from source, I have world and all except those TWO files at r298350 )(v11), nvidia (newer) won't load with older kernel
> > A few at-boot scripts no longer work as expected... but no other major problems (swap is present again)
> > (multi-user boot works)
> >
> > Best practice maybe to update the kernel?  It is a custom one from way back in 2004 initially
> > without sound drivers and without debug symbols...  and many esoteric lines added which I cobbled
> > together at first then changed per diffs of GENERIC over the years...
> >
> > Thanks for any known methods
> >
> > J. Bouquet
>

> Updated to a slightly-less-than-full GENERIC.  Still dumped core.  Moved loader.conf out of
> the way, works fine.  What will take some time now is moving loader.conf back piece by piece
> [until/if there is/ever was a utility to do it for us... ] to find the problematic line or two, then
> resume testing of the install of the custom kernel that also is 'fail' status at this point... unless/until
> I decide to also test it, THEN resume the loader.conf line-by-line back in...
>
> tl;dr   loader.conf problematic line and maybe an additional unknown in either kernel text file.

Half of loader.conf removed. (as below). Custom kernel restored and working.
# out snd_pcm_load="YES"
# out snd_acm_load="YES"
# out kern.msgbufsize="130000"
# out kern.ipc.shmmni="1024"
# out kern.ipc.shmseg="1024"
# out hw.snd.maxautovchans="4"
# out hw.snd.targetirqrate="36"
# out hint.pcm.0.buffersize="65536"
# out hw.snd.verbose="3"
# out kern.ipc.semmns="240"
# out kern.ipc.semume="40"
# out kern.ipc.semmnu="120"
# out vfs.read_max="128"
# out kern.randompid="1"
# out kern.ipc.shmmax="67108864"
# out kern.ipc.shmall="32768"
# out vm.kmem_size="700M"
# out vm.kmem_size_max="700M"
# out vfs.zfs.arc_max="250M"
# out kern.sched.preempt_thresh="224"
# out vfs.usermount="1"
# out kern.geom.part.check_integrity="0"
# out vm.overcommit="1"
# out kern.maxfilesperproc="65536"
# out kern.ipc.somaxconn="1024"
# out kern.ipc.nmbclusters="81920"
# out kern.fallback_elf_brand="3"
# out vfs.write_behind="0"

Quite a lot, as one may see. There is an equal amount non-kern (net...) remaining in.
Perchance someone sees an obvious problem in a value, and/or is an expert in
most of them and knows which can be safely restored for furtther testing, and/or
which are most useful in a FreeBSD system.

Thanks.
OTOH this may help others if they also encounter the same problem, and could be
included in a future wiki or UPDATING or 'man sysctl' type file somewhere...