Re: [CFT] packaging the base system with pkg(8)

From: Chris H <bsd-lists_at_bsdforge.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 06:43:30 -0700
On Tue, 19 Apr 2016 20:09:30 +0000 "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk>
wrote

> As far as I know, nobody is taking the source code or the Makefiles
> away, so if somebody doesn't like the system being distributed with
> pkg, they can very well roll their own.
>
> It's nice to see the level of enthusiasm the FreeBSD project can
> muster, I just wish it wasn't always enthusiasm for stopping progress.
Ahem... *always*? ;-)
While I *do* have some opinions on the upcoming pkg-base, as well as the
pkg system, itself. I'm playing catch-up with my INBOX. So I will only
respond to your remark;
I don't ever recall having been asked whether a package system should
be implemented, and if so, how it should look. *Prior* to it's having
been implemented. Tho it may have come up in the IRC channels. It never
reached the mailing lists.
*This* is the reason that *this* and similar topics become so heated;
People who are part of a "community", such as FreeBSD. Want to feel
they are part of the "big picture", and immediately feel resentment,
when they find they were left out of "big" decisions, like pkg(8).
While the conversation may well have been heated. It would *not*
have meet *quite* as much adamant, persistent resistance. Because
it (pkg) would have been molded into something from the culmination
of the "community'" input.

This is only from 50 years in the service industry, and the
thousands of mailing lists I've been on, talking here.

--Chris