why 100 packages are evil

From: Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon_at_orthanc.ca>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 20:17:15 -0700 (PDT)
Here's a real example.

I have n Centos servers. Cron, once or twice a day, updates our local
cache of the yum repos. Then nagios comes along and flags 35 packages out
of date.

An hour later, management comes along asking questions about the security
implications of those packages.  An hour later we finish trolling through
and say 'no worries'.

Repeat.  Every day.

With freebsd-update, an announcement comes out that says 'update'!.  So we
do.  Move from 10.2-p11 to 10.2-p12.  There is a very clear track record
of why and how this happened.

What will be the new update frequency with >100 base packages?  How will
that impact people running productions systems.  I know rebooting the
mysql servers is an amount of pain that everyone below the VP level
doesn't want to have anything to do with it; explaining to the VP that is.