Re: NanoBSD (Was Re: [CFT] packaging the base system with pkg(8))

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 13:47:54 -0600
On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 7:51 AM, Daniel Eischen <deischen_at_freebsd.org>
wrote:

> [CC trimmed]
>
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2016, Warner Losh wrote:
>

>> I personally will be refraining from engaging further. I plan on seeing
>> what gaps there are by adding support to NanoBSD for packages. I'll be
>> busy
>> with that. In talking to Glen and others, we've already identified a few
>> easy gaps to fill. Once they've done that, I'll get going on NanoBSD with
>> the goal to be able to use it to build a bootable system of any
>> architecture from packages with no root privs. I expect to find issues,
>> but
>> I don't expect to find any issue that's intractable. I expect after the
>> issues are resolved, the end product will be better for everybody.
>>

> Thank you for working on NanoBSD.  Do you think it would be possible
> to add support for optionally building dump(8) images instead of dd?

What do you  mean by that, exactly? It would be relatively easy to add
a step that runs dump on the _.disk.image file and squirrel that away.
Last orders the code currently calls it, I believe. Is it something as
simple
as this, or is there some more complexity that I'm failing to understand
or grasp?

Warner