Re: CURRENT: [USB] : GEOM_PART: da4 was automatically resized.

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2016 21:48:07 +0200
Am Mon, 1 Aug 2016 13:55:13 -0500
Matthew Grooms <mgrooms_at_shrew.net> schrieb:

> On 8/1/2016 12:40 PM, Randy Westlund wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 01, 2016 at 11:05:54AM +0200, O. Hartmann wrote:
> >> On every(!) USB drive which worked well with 11-CURRENT up to 11-BETA, I fail
> >> to access with 12-CURRENT (12.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT #14 r303475: Fri
> >> Jul 29 11:59:11 CEST 2016) with the error shown below.
> >>
> >> On USB flash drives I created myself, the suggested gpart command solved the
> >> problem, but I can not do this with drives I was given by a vendor or supplier.
> >>
> >> What is wrong?
> >>
> >> Kind regards and thank you very much in advance,
> >>
> >> O. Hartmann
> >>

> >> On console, I get the report:
> >>
> >> [...]
> >> GEOM_PART: da4 was automatically resized.
> >>   Use `gpart commit da4` to save changes or `gpart undo da4` to revert them.
> >
> > I noticed something similar when I was trying to dd a more recent
> > memstick installer to a USB drive on 12-CURRENT.  When I plugged in the
> > flash drive I couldn't dd to it until I noticed that message in syslog
> > and ran 'gpart undo da0'.  Looks like something is unhelpfully
> > auto-resizing partitions.
> >

> Do you have growfs_enable in your rc.conf file? I think this is added to
> certain flash images by default so it will automatically grow to your
> device capacity. See ...
>
> /etc/rc.d/growfs
>
> ... and ...
>
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-rc/2014-May/003497.html

No, I do not. This weird dmesg output occured immediately after the 12-CURRENT branch was
created - somehow. 11-ALPHA3 doesn't show up this problem. I haven't tested ALPHA6 or the
most recent BETA.

The nasty thing is that I can't write to the USB flash drive in some cases - although
this worked flawless before.

I did not change anything in the config (rc.conf[.XXX]). The problem occured with one of
the patchesets placed via svn in the strain of moving to 12-CURRENT.

And it occurs an ALL CURRENT systems I run.

Oliver