Re: [CFT] ypldap testing against OpenLDAP and Microsoft Active Directory

From: Harry Schmalzbauer <freebsd_at_omnilan.de>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2016 21:22:08 +0200
 Bezüglich Jan Bramkamp's Nachricht vom 13.06.2016 14:46 (localtime):

> On 10/06/16 16:29, Peter Wemm wrote:

>>> What advantages does ypldap offer over nss-pam-ldapd (in ports) ?
>>> nss-pam-ldapd can use both ldap+STARTTLS or ldaps to encrypt data in
>>> transit, and I find it works very well for using OpenLDAP as a central
>>> account database. I believe it works with AD, but haven't tried that
>>> myself.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Matthew
>>>

>> We used nss-pam-ldapd quite successfully in the freebsd.org cluster
>> during our transition away from YP/NIS, for what it's worth.
>
> Did you try the OpenLDAP nssov overlay? It replaces nslcd by
> reimplementing the protocol spoken between nslcd and nss_ldap/pam_ldap
> directly inside slapd. This allows slapd to cache or replicate the
> data locally without resorting to the broken nscd.

Hello,

I was curious, so I made a patcheset which adds NSSOV config option to
net/openldap24-server.

Unfortunately I'm not getting results :(

I decided to compile nssov.la with -DNSLCD_SOCKET=/var/run/nscld.ctl –
the same as defined for net/nss-pam-ldapd.
Just for testing, will consider reverting that because slapd drops
priviledges before creating the socket, so ldap needs write access to
/var/run...

Starting nslcd makes 'id ldapuser' return correct results.
Stopping nslcd and starting slapd (with verified configuration –
ldapsearch works as expected) just doesn't utilize slapd at all,
according to the logs.

Have you compiled the nss_ldap library from
contrib/slapd-modules/nssov/nss-pam-ldapd/ or do you also use the port?

Thanks for hints,

-harry