Re: FreeBSD 11 - BETA-1 Xen DOMU loses network when jail (VIMAGE) starts

From: Miguel C <miguelmclara_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 15:09:37 +0100
On Tuesday, August 9, 2016, Roger Pau Monné <roger.pau_at_citrix.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 09, 2016 at 12:12:34PM +0100, Miguel C wrote:
> > Melhores Cumprimentos // Best Regards
> > *Miguel Clara*
> > *IT - Sys Admin & Developer*
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 9:55 AM, Roger Pau Monné <roger.pau_at_citrix.com
> <javascript:;>>
> > wrote:

> works....

> member

> happy
> > > it
> > >
> > > I seem to be able to use xn* interfaces with bridges without problems:
> > >
> > > xn0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>
> metric 0
> > > mtu 1500
> > >         options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
> > >         ether 00:16:3e:74:3d:76
> > >         nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
> > >         media: Ethernet manual
> > >         status: active
> > > bridge0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0
> mtu
> > > 1500
> > >         ether 02:77:3d:4a:18:00
> > >         inet 172.16.1.140 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 172.16.1.255
> > >         nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
> > >         groups: bridge
> > >         id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 32768 hellotime 2 fwddelay 15
> > >         maxage 20 holdcnt 6 proto rstp maxaddr 2000 timeout 1200
> > >         root id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 32768 ifcost 0 port 0
> > >         member: xn0 flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>
> > >                 ifmaxaddr 0 port 2 priority 128 path cost 2000000
> > >
> > > Is this a GENERIC kernel or are you using some custom
> > > configuration/patches?
> > > Can you provide some more information about how to reproduce this?
> > >
> > > GENERIC + VIMAGE, but that's just it, no other custom changes or
> patches.
> >
> > Note however that this is under a NetbBSD Dom0, and I see the "vifXX"
> > interface disappear in the Dom0 side when the bridge is create on FreeBSD
> > DomU.
> >
> > I'm actually happy with netgraph, although I've never played with it, and
> > seems more complex, the script provide in /share/examples is perfect to
> use
> > with "jail.conf" and pf seems happy in FreeBSD-11 (which is not CURRENT,
> > should we move this to a different mailing list!?) too, no panics so far.
> >
> > I suspect the main issue, since it works fine for you is the fact that
> this
> > is in a NetBSD Dom0.
>
> Oh, from your previous email I thought that it was the interface inside of
> the DomU that disappeared. Does then same happen on a NetBSD Dom0 with a
> NetBSD DomU?
>
> Sorry I should have explained better, and no it does not happen with other
guests not even FreeBSD 9 or 10, but VIMAGE has major issues there and some
have been fixed in 11 (panics while using of for example), and I also
needed a patch for xn to even work (also related to NetBSD dom0) but bridge
did not give any issues.

It seems with 11 when I add xn0 to the bridge the dom0 thinks the interface
was disconnected, and when that happens I guess the vif bridge script ( on
dom0 ) destroys the interface.

Roger.

--
Miguel Clara,