Re: make universe and /etc/src.conf

From: Ngie Cooper (yaneurabeya) <"Ngie>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 15:40:56 -0700
> On Aug 22, 2016, at 09:25, Eric van Gyzen <vangyzen_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> On 08/22/2016 11:00, Ngie Cooper wrote:
>>
>>> On Aug 22, 2016, at 08:24, Eric van Gyzen <vangyzen_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I just tried a "make universe", and all the kernels failed because they
>>> couldn't find the config files.  I had forgotten that I have this in
>>> /etc/src.conf:
>>>
>>> KERNCONF=NUMA KERNCONFDIR=/etc
>>
>> Alternatively, use KERNCONF?= and KERNCONFDIR?=..
>>
>> A conditional will be needed to deal with MODULES_OVERRIDE, but it's
>> trivial.. I'll dig up my old src.conf a bit later on today if needed. It's
>> how I dealt with that caveat before I switched to GENERIC*.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.  Moving these to /etc/make.conf seems easiest, so
> I'll just do that.

The problem with using make.conf is that it pollutes all uses of make, whereas src.conf just pollutes compilation of the source tree.

Here’s what I used: https://github.com/yaneurabeya/scratch/blob/master/bayonetta/etc/src.conf-local#L39 — I used some additional magic because of the reasons I mentioned in my previous email. Now, I just set KERNCONF= GENERIC GENERIC-NODEBUG (but I should use `?=` if I cared about running make universe on my VM on my laptop — heh).

Cheers,
-Ngie