Re: kern.proc.pathname failure while booting from zfs

From: Frederic Chardon <chardon.frederic_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 19:35:10 +0200
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 09:27:56AM +0200, Frederic Chardon wrote:
>> Le 20 ao??t 2016 22:03, "Frederic Chardon" <chardon.frederic_at_gmail.com> a
>> ??crit :
>> >
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I see a strange interaction between zfs on root and kern.proc.pathname
>> > on my laptop. Whenever I try to use gcore it fails with:
>> > gcore 1023
>> > gcore: kern.proc.pathname failure
>> >
>> > However, gcore /usr/local/bin/zsh 1023 is working properly.
>> >
>> > I made some tests booting from usb stick (fresh installworld, no
>> > src.conf, no make.conf, GENERIC kernel)
>> > What works: having / on ufs and importing a zfs pool later on.
>> > What doesn't: having / on zfs, whatever the settings for checksum,
>> > compression, or normalization.
>> >
>> > Both 11-stable and 12-current behave this way. Current from may-june
>> > worked properly.
>> > adb, chromium and virtualbox as well stopped working at approximately
>> > the same time, however I don't know if it is linked ("truss -f adb
>> > start-server" shows that garbage is passed to execl after forking).
>> >
>> > Any idea what's going on? Does anybody else see this?
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>>
>> Nobody else have this problem? I reinstalled the system from scratch and
>> still gcore fails with the same error, even in single user mode.
>
> Do you have a property on your root fs which forces it to ignore case in
> the file names ?

No. I do have normalization set to formC though. I observed the same
behavior with the property unset (in fact, with no property set to
anything but default as well).
If I boot from usb stick and import the pool afterwards it works properly.

zpool get all zbase
NAME   PROPERTY                       VALUE                          SOURCE
zbase  size                           9,94G                          -
zbase  capacity                       43%                            -
zbase  altroot                        -                              default
zbase  health                         ONLINE                         -
zbase  guid                           8964242380523899513            default
zbase  version                        -                              default
zbase  bootfs                         zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE        local
zbase  delegation                     on                             default
zbase  autoreplace                    off                            default
zbase  cachefile                      -                              default
zbase  failmode                       wait                           default
zbase  listsnapshots                  off                            default
zbase  autoexpand                     off                            default
zbase  dedupditto                     0                              default
zbase  dedupratio                     1.00x                          -
zbase  free                           5,65G                          -
zbase  allocated                      4,29G                          -
zbase  readonly                       off                            -
zbase  comment                        -                              default
zbase  expandsize                     -                              -
zbase  freeing                        0                              default
zbase  fragmentation                  41%                            -
zbase  leaked                         0                              default
zbase  feature_at_async_destroy          enabled                        local
zbase  feature_at_empty_bpobj            active                         local
zbase  feature_at_lz4_compress           active                         local
zbase  feature_at_multi_vdev_crash_dump  enabled                        local
zbase  feature_at_spacemap_histogram     active                         local
zbase  feature_at_enabled_txg            active                         local
zbase  feature_at_hole_birth             active                         local
zbase  feature_at_extensible_dataset     enabled                        local
zbase  feature_at_embedded_data          active                         local
zbase  feature_at_bookmarks              enabled                        local
zbase  feature_at_filesystem_limits      enabled                        local
zbase  feature_at_large_blocks           enabled                        local
zbase  feature_at_sha512                 enabled                        local
zbase  feature_at_skein                  enabled                        local

zfs get all zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE
NAME                     PROPERTY              VALUE                     SOURCE
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  type                  filesystem                -
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  creation              sam. août 20 13:07 2016  -
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  used                  4,23G                     -
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  available             5,34G                     -
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  referenced            2,72G                     -
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  compressratio         1.97x                     -
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  mounted               yes                       -
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  quota                 none                      default
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  reservation           none                      default
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  recordsize            128K                      default
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  mountpoint            /                         local
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  sharenfs              off                       default
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  checksum              sha256
  inherited from zbase
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  compression           lz4
  inherited from zbase
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  atime                 off
  inherited from zbase
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  devices               on                        default
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  exec                  on                        default
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  setuid                on                        default
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  readonly              off                       default
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  jailed                off                       default
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  snapdir               hidden                    default
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  aclmode               discard                   default
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  aclinherit            restricted                default
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  canmount              on                        local
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  xattr                 off
  temporary
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  copies                1                         default
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  version               5                         -
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  utf8only              on                        -
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  normalization         formC                     -
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  casesensitivity       sensitive                 -
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  vscan                 off                       default
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  nbmand                off                       default
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  sharesmb              off                       default
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  refquota              none                      default
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  refreservation        none                      default
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  primarycache          all                       default
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  secondarycache        all                       default
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  usedbysnapshots       1,52G                     -
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  usedbydataset         2,72G                     -
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  usedbychildren        0                         -
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  usedbyrefreservation  0                         -
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  logbias               latency                   default
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  dedup                 off                       default
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  mlslabel                                        -
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  sync                  disabled
  inherited from zbase
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  refcompressratio      1.96x                     -
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  written               37,6M                     -
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  logicalused           7,82G                     -
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  logicalreferenced     4,95G                     -
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  volmode               default                   default
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  filesystem_limit      none                      default
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  snapshot_limit        none                      default
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  filesystem_count      none                      default
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  snapshot_count        none                      default
zbase/bootenv/11-STABLE  redundant_metadata    all                       default