Re: Please test EARLY_AP_STARTUP

From: Sepherosa Ziehau <sepherosa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2016 13:39:44 +0800
On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 12:53 PM, Sepherosa Ziehau <sepherosa_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 1:49 AM, John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

>>> I tried add VERBOSE_SYSINIT option in order to get a rough location of
>>> this delay, but the system boots just fine w/ VERBOSE_SYSINIT option,
>>> sigh.
>>
>> You could add KTR_PROC tracing and use 'show ktr' in DDB when you break in after the
>> 30 second delay to see what it was doing during the delay perhaps?
>
> I have narrowed it down by patching the VERBOSE_SYSINIT: the
> kthread_start(&deadlkres_kd) introduces the 30 seconds delay, i.e.
> SYSINIT(deadlkres, SI_SUB_CLOCKS, SI_ORDER_ANY, kthread_start,
> &deadlkres_kd) blocks for 30 seconds.

I commented out the DEADLKRES option, now the delay happens randomly,
sometimes even before a VERBOSE_SYSINIT entry logging.  But the delay
always happens after inittimecounter(0), and before the
SI_SUB_INT_CONFIG_HOOKS.

I didn't notice useful information from DDB 'show ktr', once it
thawed.  Anything I should be aware of in the KTR_PROC ktrlog?

Thanks,
sephe

--
Tomorrow Will Never Die