Re: Broken suspend-resume (suspend to RAM) with enabled INVARIANTS on 11-CURRENT - with workaround

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 10:36:59 -0800
On Monday, February 08, 2016 12:52:30 PM Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> > dev/hwpmc/hwpmc_mod.c-
> > dev/hwpmc/hwpmc_mod.c-  /* issue an attach event to a configured log file */
> > dev/hwpmc/hwpmc_mod.c-  if (pm->pm_owner->po_flags & PMC_PO_OWNS_LOGFILE) {
> > dev/hwpmc/hwpmc_mod.c:          if (p->p_flag & P_KTHREAD) {
> > dev/hwpmc/hwpmc_mod.c-                  fullpath = kernelname;
> > dev/hwpmc/hwpmc_mod.c-                  freepath = NULL;
> > dev/hwpmc/hwpmc_mod.c-          } else {
> > dev/hwpmc/hwpmc_mod.c-                  pmc_getfilename(p->p_textvp,
> > &fullpath, &freepath);
> > dev/hwpmc/hwpmc_mod.c-                  pmclog_process_pmcattach(pm,
> > p->p_pid, fullpath);
> > dev/hwpmc/hwpmc_mod.c-          }
> What is wrong with this code ? proc0 has NULL p_textvp, so the call
> to pmc_getfilename() does not do anything except setting pointers to NULL.

proc0 should use the kernel as its filename, not a NULL filename.  I wonder
if this bug is why 'pmcstat -t 0' in top mode doesn't show any events?

I doubt any third party code uses kthread_suspend() or kproc_suspend().
kthread/proc_suspend() already relies on the kthread in question using
kthread/proc_suspend_check() in its main loop so it doesn't work on a variety
of kthreads that have P_KTHREAD set (e.g. taskqueue threads, ithreads).

Note that thread0 does have TDP_KTHREAD set explicitly, so you can already
do 'kthread_suspend(&thread0)' without EINVAL, just not 'kproc(&proc0)'.
Both cases would hang of course since swapper() doesn't check for suspend.
Given that, I think it would be more consistent to set P_KTHREAD for proc0
than to not.

Also, P_KTHREAD should probably be renamed to P_KPROC.

--
John Baldwin