Re: CVE-2015-7547: critical bug in libc

From: Warren Block <wblock_at_wonkity.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 10:23:38 -0700 (MST)
On Thu, 18 Feb 2016, Kubilay Kocak wrote:

> On 18/02/2016 3:51 AM, Warren Block wrote:

>>> Articles are permanent, which makes sense for the recurring issue of
>>> leap seconds.  This vulnerability is transient, so I would suggest a
>>> news item.
>>
>> Yes, but news items are usually just links.  For the amount of
>> information we have so far, an article seems like the easiest way to do
>> this.  Or maybe an addition to the security part of the web site?
>>
>> For now, I'll collect the information as just text.
>
> Don't we also want our sec teams to investigate/confirm it anyway,
> independent of how it's communicated?

Absolutely.

> If so, doesn't a security advisory (with secteam and/or ports-secteam as
> appropriate) make the most sense here, given the scope of vulnerability
> for base/linux emulation/ports is yet to be completely established and
> is still to be investigated properly?

Have there been security advisories for unconfirmed or
not-actually-a-problem events before?  My impression was that they have
only been announced when a problem exists and action needs to be taken.

However, a real problem *does* exist for Linux VMs and applications on
FreeBSD, so it could be addressed that way.  A "we are investigating"
advisory right now could do some good, if the protocols allow it.

> Finally, would users expect a news item, an article or a heads up from
> our security teams for something like this, even in the case where it's
> only a "confirmed we're not affected" ?

A news item linking to a "it's not us!" advisory would be no problem.
People have to go looking for that.

Those who are subscribed to the security mailing list will receive those
notices directly, and because those are expected to be problems that
need to be addressed immediately, it might cause some initial
palpitations as if it were an actual problem with FreeBSD.