Re: HELP: Howtwo create a passwd-suitable hash for usage with psswd -H 0?

From: RW <rwmaillists_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 14:52:44 +0000
On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 14:16:24 +0100
O. Hartmann wrote:

> Hello out there,
>
> I run into a problem and digging for a solution didn't work out.
>
> Problem: I need a string that reflects the hashed password for the
> usage with
>
> passwd -H 0

Did you mean -h?

> I think the procedure is using
>
> sha512 -s Password
>
> and using this output for further processing, but how?

It's not as simple as that, password  hashes are usually salted and
iterated. Salting means that the password is combined with a randomly
generated string stored in plaintext, which means that the password
doesn't hash to a fixed string.

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do, but crypt(3) may be of
help.