Re: Call for testing: Using ELF Tool Chain elfcopy as objcopy

From: Michael Jung <mikej_at_mikej.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 12:44:57 -0500
On 2016-02-16 14:04, Ed Maste wrote:
> you build -CURRENT from source, please set WITH_ELFCOPY_AS_OBJCOPY=yes
> in /etc/src.conf, and report any build- or run-time issues you
> experience with the base system, ports, or third-party software.
>
> In SVN revision 295577 I updated ELF Tool Chain to upstream revision
> 3400, which corresponds roughly with the upcoming 0.7.1 release of
> that project.  ELF Tool Chain's elfcopy is a functional replacement
> for binutils objcopy for both the base system and ports tree after
> this update and a few followup commits. (An exp-run is in progress in
> PR 207091 to validate the followup fixes. One port failure is due to
> an issue in that port and is tracked in PR 207170.)
>
> There is a src.conf knob WITH_ELFCOPY_AS_OBJCOPY to install ELF Tool
> Chain's elfcopy as /usr/bin/objcopy. I plan to make this the default
> for 11.0, but first would like to ask for broader testing with the
> setting enabled. I'm particularly interested in hearing from anyone
> using the base system objcopy in unusual cases (e.g., converting ELF
> files to ROM images).
>
> Note that some lesser-used objcopy options (like --reverse-bytes or
> --interleave-width) are not implemented in elfcopy, so I'm also
> interested in hearing from anyone who makes use of options that are
> not supported by elfcopy.

FreeBSD bsd11-elf-test 11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #18 r295677M:
Tue Feb 16 17:49:26 EST 2016     root_at_bsd11:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
  amd64

which was built with

WITH_ELFCOPY_AS_OBJCOPY=yes

in /etc/src.conf

has built 1400+ ports, via poudriere working without build errors,
applications like chrome, libre office, eclipse, xfce4 seem to run fine.

These tests are all in a VM under Esxi 6 using Xming as the X server.

Thanks for you work.

--mikej
Michael Jung