Re: Haswell graphics (i915) still not in CURRENT

From: Shawn Webb <shawn.webb_at_hardenedbsd.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 08:40:43 -0500
On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 12:40:27PM +0100, Jean-S??bastien P??dron wrote:
> On 24/02/2016 10:59, Carsten Kunze wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> Hi!
>
> > At the moment CURRENT can't be used on laptops with i915 graphics,
> > so it may not harm to integrate a buggy i915 support in CURRENT. The
> > advantage would be that more users would test the driver and could
> > give response. This may speed up the debugging/testing of this
> > driver.
>
> The problem is not the stability of Haswell support, but more the
> regressions on already supported GPUs.
>
> Currently, there is one big regression:
> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-base-graphics/issues/2
>
> It takes seconds to panic a Sandybridge or Haswell (so I suppose Ivy
> Bridge is impacted too).
>
> Once this is fixed (and so far my attempts failed), I believe the patch
> can go in -CURRENT. Haswell support won't be rock solid but anyway,
> Linux 3.8, the base we use, had only initial support. Many bugfixes came
> in Linux 3.9 and 3.10. Hopefully, we'll get there more quickly.

We at HardenedBSD have an experimental branch that is kept up-to-date
with FreeBSD HEAD along with Jean-Sebastien's excellent work (and
HardenedBSD's awesomeness on top of that).

The code is here:

https://github.com/HardenedBSD/hardenedBSD-playground/tree/hardened/experimental/master-i915

Latest builds are here:

http://jenkins.hardenedbsd.org/builds/HardenedBSD-CURRENT-i915kms-amd64-LATEST/ISO-IMAGES/

Thanks,

--
Shawn Webb
HardenedBSD

GPG Key ID:          0x6A84658F52456EEE
GPG Key Fingerprint: 2ABA B6BD EF6A F486 BE89  3D9E 6A84 658F 5245 6EEE