Re: hint.uart.1 in device.hints causes freeze at boot

From: Marcel Moolenaar <marcel_at_xcllnt.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 17:49:24 -0800
> On Feb 26, 2016, at 7:48 AM, Lundberg, Johannes <johannes_at_brilliantservice.co.jp> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> Not sure if it's ok to cross post but I wasn't sure which list to send to.
>
> On Intel Atom X5-Z8300 SoC (CherryTrail) the install memstick image (amd64)
> halts during boot because of uart.1 settings in device hints.

I have found that FreeBSD’s default device.hints file has fallen
behind on reality and is indeed causing problems on more modern
H/W, like the H/W you mention.

> I'm sure it is there for a reason so what is the alternative actions? Is
> the solution to get a bootable Atom SoC image to create yet another
> distribution or can the installer choose the proper device.hints
> dynamically during boot?

FreeBSD should really get rid of any default hints by now; or at least
limit the hints to what is absolutely certain to be needed or to be
correct.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
marcel_at_xcllnt.net