RE: FreeBsd MCA Panic Crash !!

From: Rang, Anton <anton.rang_at_isilon.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 21:27:11 +0000
>We've switched to FreeBSD recently to accomodate large video storage as we are running video streaming website.
>So the job of the FreeBSD is to transcode the uploaded videos using ffmpeg and serve them to users via nginx webserver
>but so far our experience is not very good with it. It crashes every 2-3 days and we're unable to track down the problem.
>The server specs are pretty high :
>
> Supermicro X5690 (12 cores, 24 threads - 2u) 96GB RAM 12x3TB RAID-10 (HBA-LSI9211)

[...]

>CPU 3 BANK 5
>MCA: Internal Timer error
>STATUS be00000000800400 MCGSTATUS 4

Are those the only MCA errors you're seeing? The reason I ask is that there's an errata in the X5600 series which can cause an "internal timer error" MCA to be logged after another uncorrectable MCA occurs.

If not, these do point at a hardware problem *or* errata, though software can also trigger this in some cases (for instance, reading from malfunctioning or non-existent hardware). If your BIOS can be updated, that's a good first step as it will generally update the CPU microcode and add workarounds for many known issues. Replacing the CPU and/or voltage regulator is more drastic, but if the problem is hardware, it's likely in one of those components.

Anton

Supermicro X5690 (12 cores, 24 threads - 2u) 96GB RAM 12x3TB RAID-10 (HBA-LSI9211)

Here is the screenshot of recent crash :

http://prntscr.com/9er3pk

One thing worth mentioning is, before going down there's no load on server, more or less free RAM usually is around 12GB.  We've tried following solutions so far :

- Updated FreeBSD OS
- Replaced 800W PS with 900W
- We've reduced CMOS from MAX(26x) to 18x as suggested in this post http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/60574/determining-cause-of-linux-kernel-panic

The solution we've not performed so far is :

- Disable mca using (hw.mca.enabled: 0) - As we're getting MCA panics.

Here is the crash dump :

[root_at_cw001 /var/crash]# mcelog --no-dmi --ascii --file core.txt.1 HARDWARE ERROR. This is *NOT* a software problem!
Please contact your hardware vendor
CPU 3 BANK 5
MISC 0 ADDR 802bf6a69
MCG status:MCIP
MCi status:
Uncorrected error
Error enabled
MCi_MISC register valid
MCi_ADDR register valid
Processor context corrupt
MCA: Internal Timer error
STATUS be00000000800400 MCGSTATUS 4
MCGCAP 1c09 APICID 3 SOCKETID 0
CPUID Vendor Intel Family 6 Model 44
HARDWARE ERROR. This is *NOT* a software problem!
Please contact your hardware vendor
CPU 2 BANK 5
MISC 0 ADDR 802bf6a69
MCG status:MCIP
MCi status:
Uncorrected error
Error enabled
MCi_MISC register valid
MCi_ADDR register valid
Processor context corrupt
MCA: Internal Timer error
STATUS be00000000800400 MCGSTATUS 4
MCGCAP 1c09 APICID 2 SOCKETID 0
[...]

I showed those Hardware errors to Vendor from whom we purchased Supermicro servers . This is what he has to say :

Why do you not made one test environment with CentOS or one other Linux that you know to use, and see if you have same errors ??? if not than you know that the errors come from OS not from hardware. ( CentOS, RedHead….work diferend like FreeBSD – work direct on hardware if you don’t have the right kernel settings can the server crashed. CentOS , RedHead…. don’t work direct on hardware and distribute the resource load better and you have better control and you can better debug one situation)

Now we're on a black hole and unable to find that either issue with FreeBSD or Hardware. We're thinking to disable mca in loader.conf but ppl are not suggesting it. If you guys can help us, it'd be very kind.