Re: after update to r292778 no interface ath0 and wlan0

From: Michael Gmelin <grembo_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 16:55:07 +0100
On Thu, 7 Jan 2016 12:49:50 +0100
Matthias Apitz <guru_at_unixarea.de> wrote:

> El día Thursday, January 07, 2016 a las 03:04:24AM +0100, Michael
> Gmelin escribió:
>
> > > wlans_ath0="wlan0"
> > > ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"
> > >
> > > (i.e. unchanged as they worked before); in dmesg the aht0 is
> > > shown as usual with:
> > >

> > See
> > https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2015-August/042976.html
> > and don't forget to run mergemaster to update rc scripts.
>
> A side question or remark on this: Why I do understand that certain
> files (like: /etc/group, /etc/motd, ...) must be overwritten or
> merged or ignored with the files from the new installworld, I do not
> understand why the script files in /etc/rc.d or /etc are not just
> overwritten with the new files;
>
> these files are not meant to be changed by the system admin, they are
> just new software;

This shouldn't be a problem when using freebsd-update. While following
CURRENT I find the idea of finding manual/local changes done by the
local admin/developer quite useful (it's a bit of a philosophical
question/my opinion).

"mergemaster -a" isn't the correct way to update (see mergemaster(8)
and /usr/src/UPDATING), either use "mergemaster -i"
or "mergemaster -iF" (I use the latter, as I don't usually don't mess
with rc scripts myself).

Things might change if/once base is installed using pkg(8).

- Michael

--
Michael Gmelin