Re: Packaging the FreeBSD base system with pkg(8)

From: Allan Jude <allanjude_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 11:09:56 -0500
On 2016-01-28 11:06, Slawa Olhovchenkov wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 02:18:06PM +0100, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 12:46:39PM +0000, Thomas Mueller wrote:
>>> from Glen Barber:

>>> (snip)
>>>
>>> Would the base system all be one package?
>>
>> multiple packages with meta packages to represent the whole base so you have the
>> best of both world :)
>>>
>>> In Linux, everything is part of a package, even the kernel, but something comparable to FreeBSD or NetBSD base system would have many packages.
>>>
>>> Will it be possible to upgrade base system with portmaster or portupgrade, and would that be better than the current procedure in UPDATING?
>>
>> No but one will be able to simply run pkg upgrade (and built himself the
>> packages)
>>>
>>> Would pkg then be able to show a package's required shared libraries including shared libraries from the base system?  I was recently stung by pkg not showing required shared libraries from the base system.
>>
>> Yes, but but real usage of it would happen in a second step because of many
>> rought edges to be deal with. but yes the information would be available
>>
>> see:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br6izhH5P1I
>> and
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7px6ktoDAI
>>
>> for a bigger view of what happened (note that some detail my have change a bit,
>> the overall remains the same)
>
> What about upgrade strongly outdated system?
> For example 11.0 at time 18.0? I.e. packages for 11.0 don't available,
> pkg from 11.0 don't undertund package base from 18.0 and etc.

According to our current release schedule, FreeBSD 18.0 will not come
out for 35 years (2051).

The general approach would appear to be just downloading new packages
and updating the system. For a drastic upgrade like that, you'd likely
have to build a newer version of pkg from ports.

The approach for offering an upgrade from 10.x to 11.0 will be the more
interesting endeavour.

--
Allan Jude