Re: Setting sysctl vfs.zfs.arc_max failed: 22

From: Nathan Bosley <nathan.bosley_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2016 02:48:16 -0400
I was just testing this a bit.
I can now set max in loader.conf as expected.

I did notice one thing that I thought was a bit strange though.

As a reference, here are my defaults without any ARC tunables/sysctls:

vfs.zfs.arc_meta_limit: 3903459328
vfs.zfs.arc_min: 1951729664
vfs.zfs.arc_max: 15613837312

If I put vfs.zfs.arc_max="8589934592" in loader.conf, the results are:

vfs.zfs.arc_meta_limit: 2147483648
vfs.zfs.arc_min: 1073741824
vfs.zfs.arc_max: 8589934592

So meta_limit and min are also changed, which is reasonable.

If I remove all of my ARC tunables in loader.conf, so that I have the
default values after booting, and then use:
# sysctl vfs.zfs.arc_max="8589934592"

The result is:

vfs.zfs.arc_meta_limit: 2147483648
vfs.zfs.arc_min: 1951729664
vfs.zfs.arc_max: 8589934592

Max was set as requested.
meta_limit was set to max/4.
But min is still at the default.

In other words, if I use loader.conf to set max, then min and meta_limit
are also recalculated.
But if I use sysctl to set max, only meta_limit is recalculated; min
remains at the default.
I'm not sure if that's the intent.

Just a heads-up.

Thanks again.