Re: FreeBSD-11.0-BETA1-amd64-disc1.iso is too big for my 700MB CD-r

From: A. Wilcox <AWilcox_at_Wilcox-Tech.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 17:03:26 -0500
On 12/07/16 15:58, Steven Hartland wrote:
> On 12/07/2016 21:50, Slawa Olhovchenkov wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 01:39:34PM -0700, Conrad Meyer wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe Tier 2 can deal with just bootonly.iso.  Or your machines should
>>> be dropped from Tier 2 if they don't support USB and we aren't okay
>>> with dropping disc1 support for all of Tier 2.

That is pretty much all SPARC hardware and a lot of POWER hardware.  Not
to mention newer rack-mount servers that have no USB on front (IBM).

And what of the servers that already have functional CD drives?  Do we
really now have to recommending buying SCSI/SATA slimline or USB DVD
drives just to boot installation media?  That's a heavy cost when you
can fit nearly all other BSDs on a single regular 650 (84 MB for NetBSD
7.0.1 + 223 MB for OpenBSD 5.9 + 385 MB for "TrueOS"/PC-BSD Server 10.3
= 692 MB, all sizes amd64 install iso including sets).

>> Not all BIOS can be boot from USB.
>> I am have Fujitsu notebook not support USB boot.
> From a USB Pen drive I can understand but from a USB DVD Drive that
> would be some seriously antiquated hardware!

I have a Core 2-era Xeon board (Wolfdale-DP, Intel 5000 based) that
cannot under any circumstances boot from a connected USB device.  It
won't boot from a USB DVD, USB CD, USB pen, or USB hard disk (USBMSC).
I hardly consider a server that is 7 years old "antiquated" though I
concede it is not the newest.

Beyond that, there are security issues with allowing servers to boot off
of any random USB device that an admin has lying around.  Most will be
configured by good admins to not do such a thing.

In summary: NAK NAK NAK.  USB is not a solution.  Bringing down the
bloat on disc1 or returning to miniinst is the proper solution.

~arw

--
A. Wilcox (awilfox)
Open-source programmer (C, C++, Python)