FYI: svn commit: r301453 - in head/sys: arm/arm arm64/arm64 dev/fdt dev/gpio dev/iicbus dev/ofw dev/pci dev/vnic kern mips/mips sys

From: Mark Millard <markmi_at_dsl-only.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 18:18:16 -0700
This is just an FYI copied from svn-src-head: https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/svn-src-head/2016-July/089328.html says the below. I'm just giving it somewhat wider exposure. Likely any replies should be to https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/svn-src-head/2016-July/089328.html instead of to this message.

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org on Tue Jul 19 00:11:53 UTC 2016 wrote:

> Could you please describe what this change is in more detail?
>
> It breaks a lot of encapsulations we have worked very hard to maintain,
> moves ARM code into MI parts of the kernel, and the OFW parts violate
> IEEE 1275 (the Open Firmware standard). In particular, there is no
> guarantee that the interrupts for a newbus (or OF) device are encoded in
> a property called "interrupts" (or, indeed, in any property at all) on
> that node and there are many, many device trees where that is not the
> case (e.g. ones with interrupt maps, as well as Apple hardware). By
> putting that knowledge into the OF root bus device, which we have tried
> to keep it out of, this enforces a standard that doesn't actually exist.
>
> I'm hesitant to ask for reversion on something that landed 6 weeks ago
> without me noticing, but this needs a lot more architectural work before
> any parts of the kernel should use it.
> -Nathan
>
> On 06/05/16 09:20, Svatopluk Kraus wrote:
> > Author: skra
> > Date: Sun Jun  5 16:20:12 2016
> > New Revision: 301453
> >
> > Log:
> >    INTRNG - change the way how an interrupt mapping data are provided
> >    to the framework in OFW (FDT) case.
> >
> >    This is a follow-up to r301451.
> >
> >    Differential Revision:	https://reviews.freebsd.org/D6634
> >
> > Modified:
> >    head/sys/arm/arm/nexus.c
> >    head/sys/arm64/arm64/gic_v3.c
> >    head/sys/arm64/arm64/nexus.c
> >    head/sys/dev/fdt/simplebus.c
> >    head/sys/dev/gpio/ofw_gpiobus.c
> >    head/sys/dev/iicbus/ofw_iicbus.c
> >    head/sys/dev/ofw/ofw_bus_subr.c
> >    head/sys/dev/ofw/ofw_bus_subr.h
> >    head/sys/dev/ofw/ofwbus.c
> >    head/sys/dev/pci/pci_host_generic.c
> >    head/sys/dev/vnic/mrml_bridge.c
> >    head/sys/dev/vnic/thunder_mdio_fdt.c
> >    head/sys/kern/subr_intr.c
> >    head/sys/mips/mips/nexus.c
> >    head/sys/sys/intr.h

. . . (I omit the actual modifications) . . .

===
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net