Re: UTF-8 by default?

From: Tim Čas <darkuranium_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 00:14:06 +0200
On 20 July 2016 at 22:23, Don Lewis <truckman_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> It passes a fixed-length non-NUL terminated buffer (returned by read(2))
> to mbrtowc().  In addition to the lack of termination, the buffer could
> also contain a partial character at its beginning or end if the contents
> are UTF-8.
>
> The Coverity ID is 978825.

I don't have access to Coverity, but with boru's help, I managed to
check the lines. There is no problem as far as I can tell --- yes, the
buffer is not NUL-terminated [1], *BUT* `mbrtowc(3)` takes a `len`
argument (which is returned from said `read(2)`), so it never tries to
read out of scope [2,3].

The problem might still be elsewhere, though --- the code is somewhat
hairy, so I'll give it a closer check tomorrow.

[1] https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/usr.bin/wc/wc.c?view=markup#l277
[2] https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/usr.bin/wc/wc.c?view=markup#l290
[3] `man 3 mbrtowc`