Re: Call for Testing: Switching back to our BSD licensed dtc(1)

From: David Chisnall <theraven_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2016 11:37:56 +0100
On 23 Jul 2016, at 05:16, Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 1:03 AM, David Chisnall <theraven_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

>>> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/devicetree/overlay-notes.txt
>>> has the specs.
>>
>> Hmm, that’s even less complete than the docs that I’d found.
>
> Can you share that then?

I only found tutorial-style things:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/device-tree.md

https://learn.adafruit.com/introduction-to-the-beaglebone-black-device-tree/device-tree-overlays

I was hoping for something a bit more like a spec.

>> From that, it seems as if the only thing that dtc needs to do is support the /plugin/ syntax and emit a section describing unresolved references?
>
> I believe so, yes.

That sounds like it should be easy.

>> Or is dtc also expected to be able to do the merging?
>
> I think that's TBD. We'll need, at the very least, an update libfdt
> from upstream that knows how to do the merging, as well as changes to
> /boot/loader to be able to pick and choose which plugins to add to the
> base. If we can do all that with the BSDL DTC and it passes all the
> other GPL test cases, then we may have a winner and we can get started
> integrating plugin support to /boot/loader. I know my RPi would be
> happier if it had a 'standard' DTB with a plugin for whatever 1-wire
> stuff I'm playing with today.

Patrick Wildt was running the GPL’d dtc test suite and I fixed all of the things that he reported broken.  We’re now using a less-efficient algorithm for calculating the cross-references so that we resolve things in the same order, which makes doing a diff on the dts produced by the two tools easier.

David