Re: Digi Watchport/T temperature sensor as /dev/ttyU

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 08:03:30 +0200
Am Sat, 23 Jul 2016 14:49:11 -0600
Ian Lepore <ian_at_freebsd.org> schrieb:

> On Sat, 2016-07-23 at 22:04 +0200, O. Hartmann wrote:
> > Am Fri, 22 Jul 2016 10:52:54 -0600
> > Ian Lepore <ian_at_freebsd.org> schrieb:

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > I think the attached patch will make it show up as a ttyU*/cuaU*
> > > device
> > > for you.  (You should probably use the /dev/cuaU* flavor, to avoid
> > > problems with tty layer and modem control signals).
> > >
> > > I keep wishing we had a mechanism, like a sysctl that could be set
> > > or
> > > something, that would let you supply a vendor/product pair and have
> > > the
> > > ugensa driver attach to that device, for quick testing of this sort
> > > of
> > > thing.
> > >
> > > -- Ian
> >
> > No, it doesn't change anything. I applied the patch to most recent
> > CURRENT and it is
> > still the same. But thanks anyway.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > oh
>
> Oh, my bad, I forgot to mention:  You'll have to manually "kldload
> ugensa" before plugging in the device (or load it from your
> loader.conf).
>
> When the change gets committed (assuming it works), the devd usb
> scripts will get regenerated, and that's what handles the auto-load of
> the driver.
>
> -- Ian
man ugensa doesn't exist! As I wrote earlier, I tried everything to load what I could
find. It seems, the patch and the hint about ugensa.ko did the magic ;-) Thank you very
much! Could the patch be made permanent to FreeBSD CURRENT?

And also important: where is the man page for ugensa? Can the the module be compiled
staitcally into the kernel or are there pitfalls?

root_at_localhost: [src] kldload ugensa

ugen2.7: <Digi International> at usbus2
ugensa0: <Digi International WatchportT, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 7> on usbus2
ugensa0: Found 1 interfaces.
root_at_thor: [src] man ugensa
No manual entry for ugensa
root_at_localhost: [src] ll /dev/cuaU0*
203 crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer  -  0xcb Jul 24 07:51 /dev/cuaU0
204 crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer  -  0xcc Jul 24 07:51 /dev/cuaU0.init
205 crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer  -  0xcd Jul 24 07:51 /dev/cuaU0.lock

I'll try now to get informations out of the device, I let you know whether that is a
success. But anyway, again, thank you for helping making the device visible and available.

Kind regards,

Oliver Hartmann