Re: Digi Watchport/T temperature sensor as /dev/ttyU

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 10:51:34 +0200
Am Sun, 24 Jul 2016 08:38:59 +0200
Gary Jennejohn <gljennjohn_at_gmail.com> schrieb:

> On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 08:03:30 +0200
> "O. Hartmann" <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>
> > Am Sat, 23 Jul 2016 14:49:11 -0600
> > Ian Lepore <ian_at_freebsd.org> schrieb:

> > > Oh, my bad, I forgot to mention:  You'll have to manually "kldload
> > > ugensa" before plugging in the device (or load it from your
> > > loader.conf).
> > >
> > > When the change gets committed (assuming it works), the devd usb
> > > scripts will get regenerated, and that's what handles the auto-load of
> > > the driver.
> > >
> > > -- Ian
> > man ugensa doesn't exist! As I wrote earlier, I tried everything to load what I could
> > find. It seems, the patch and the hint about ugensa.ko did the magic ;-) Thank you
> > very much! Could the patch be made permanent to FreeBSD CURRENT?
> >
> > And also important: where is the man page for ugensa? Can the the module be compiled
> > staitcally into the kernel or are there pitfalls?
> >

> Even the most complete man page found in the internet, the one from
> Dragonfly, doesn't list your Digi International device as being one
> of those supported.

Yes. That is a pity. But Linux seems to operate this serial device. I have to check next
time I get hands on a Linux box, what driver is attached to the sensor.

> Still, having the man page under FreeBSD would at least provide a hint
> that the driver even exists.

Agreed.

> I added device ugensa to my config file and the kernel was generated
> without an error.

Me, too.

> > root_at_localhost: [src] kldload ugensa
> >
> > ugen2.7: <Digi International> at usbus2
> > ugensa0: <Digi International WatchportT, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 7> on usbus2
> > ugensa0: Found 1 interfaces.
> > root_at_thor: [src] man ugensa
> > No manual entry for ugensa
> > root_at_localhost: [src] ll /dev/cuaU0*
> > 203 crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer  -  0xcb Jul 24 07:51 /dev/cuaU0
> > 204 crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer  -  0xcc Jul 24 07:51 /dev/cuaU0.init
> > 205 crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer  -  0xcd Jul 24 07:51 /dev/cuaU0.lock
> >

> > I'll try now to get informations out of the device, I let you know whether that is a
> > success. But anyway, again, thank you for helping making the device visible and
> > available.

I had no luck with retrieving informations out of the device by the Perl5 script provided
by Nagios.org. A prerequisite for the Perl script is the FreeBSD port

comms/p5-Device-SerialPort

Patching the script is trivial, but I do not know whether the backend,
comms/p5-Device-SerialPort, works a sexpected. So the first, dirty, trial ended up in
nothing - since the information gained from the sensor is an empty string/nothing.

I'm not familiar with serial devices, so far, so probably there is something trivial
missing.