Re: SafeStack in base

From: Ed Schouten <ed_at_nuxi.nl>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 10:05:29 +0200
Hi Conrad,

> The problem appears to be an upstream limitation of
> -fsanitize=safe-stack: "Most programs, static libraries, or individual
> files can be compiled with SafeStack as is. … Linking a DSO with
> SafeStack is not currently supported." [0]

I'm not sure, but I thought the reason for this is due to the fact
that SafeStack uses some kind of additional library to wrap around
pthread_create() to create threads that have SafeStack properly set
up.

If we were to actually integrate this functionality into our C
runtime/pthread library to create threads with two stacks by default,
then I couldn't think of a reason why it shouldn't work with DSOs.
SafeStack merely depends on an additional TLS variable -- nothing
else.

--
Ed Schouten <ed_at_nuxi.nl>
Nuxi, 's-Hertogenbosch, the Netherlands