Re: 11.0 -r301139: WITH_META_MODE=yes vs. "sh: ./make_keys: Exec format error"?

From: Mark Millard <markmi_at_dsl-only.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2016 11:52:29 -0700

On 2016-Jun-2, at 10:53 AM, Simon J. Gerraty <sjg at juniper.net> wrote:

> BTW Mark, thanks very much for testing this.
>
>>> # grep make_keys ~/sys_typescripts/typescript_make_rpi2_nodebug_clang_bootstrap-amd64-host-2016-06-01:15:17:28
>>> Building /usr/obj/clang/arm.armv6/usr/src/lib/ncurses/ncursesw/make_keys
>>> Building /usr/obj/clang/arm.armv6/usr/src/lib/ncurses/ncurses/make_keys
>>> Building /usr/obj/clang/arm.armv6/usr/src/lib/ncurses/ncursesw/make_keys
>>> sh: ./make_keys: Exec format error
>>
>> Note that ncursesw has two Building lines above with the same path listed.
>
> This build is still using the normal orchestration (tree walks etc)
> so it it not at all out of the question for directories to be visited
> more than once.
>
> If curious; you can add -dM to have make explain why it built it again
> the 2nd time.
> The output can be copious, so you might want to only enable it in
> ncursesw
> eg.
>
> .MAKEFLAGS: -dM

You dropped the note where Bryan Drewery reported already having found the problem:

On 2016-Jun-1, at 5:06 PM, Bryan Drewery <bdrewery at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Yup it is due to r301079. Will have to think on this. It was a temporary
> workaround until bmake was fixed.
>

> --
> Regards,
> Bryan Drewery

There is also the issue that installworld to / and reboot results in the next buildworld buildkernel for each TARGET_ARCH being essentially a complete build. ( https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2016-June/061606.html )

For my use this last usually removes the most of the potential time gain from WITH_META_MODE=yes. And taking less time is why I was experimenting with using it.

===
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net