Re: CLOCK_MONOTONIC / CLOCK_UPTIME is not really monotonic between threads

From: Maxim Sobolev <sobomax_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2016 08:04:29 -0700
Konstantin,

Thanks for taking your time looking into it and sorry for somewhat messy
problem report. I've been trying to fix that problem all day yesterday
thinking it's just application logic that is broken and indeed has been
able to find some bigger issues that were obscuring this one. But it got
very frustrating when the bug popped out anew at a seemingly lower level
now. The issue that triggered this is in some high level python code. Which
makes it quite difficult to narrow and isolate. There is still slight
chance that it's something about threading within the python that screws
this up somehow, however I don't quite see how that could lead to a
consistent result that is just off by few hundred microseconds and not in
some random garbage.

So, I take from you message, that high level
clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC*) is supposed to be monotonic with respect to
the wall time even when called in different threads? I always though it is,
but was not 100% sure about that and wanted to confirm it before I dive
deeper into this and spend more time writing a test case to expose this.
The test case you gave me is interesting, but somewhat low-level. What I
would do if it comes to it, is to make something that uses pthreads and
plain clock_gettime(2). Should not be too difficult to reproduce if it's
real issue.

P.S. I've also tried kern.timecounter.fast_gettime=0, made no difference.
Assuming it does not take a reboot to test it. Neither does
switching kern.timecounter.hardware, I've tested TSC-low(1000)
ACPI-fast(900) HPET(950) i8254(0), all are the same.

In any case thanks for your valuable input, I think I have enough
information for now to investigate it further.

-Max