Re: r300951: mountroot: waiting for device /dev/ad4s1a...

From: Michael Gmelin <freebsd_at_grem.de>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2016 14:41:48 +0200
On Sat, 4 Jun 2016 14:01:34 +0200
Matthias Apitz <guru_at_unixarea.de> wrote:

> El día Saturday, June 04, 2016 a las 01:54:30PM +0200, Michael Gmelin
> escribió:

> > > yes, clean 'make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC'
> > And then 'make installkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC' I suppose.
>
> yes, ofc :-)
>
> > > interestingly: I can type at the prompt 'mountroot> ' into the
> > > dark and always when I press Ctrl the chars are written to the
> > > screen and so I can specify 'ufs:/dev/ad4s1a' which than leads to
> > > the same error 19.
> >
> > Did you try ufs:/dev/ada0s1a?
>
> no, but now and it worked; I will adjust /etc/fstab; but why is this?

The SATA subsystem was changed to use cam back in 2012 [1], which
changed device numbering from adX to ada0, ada1.

Back then, a sysctl called kern.cam.ada.legacy_aliases, which is
enabled by default, was provided for backwards compatibility.

Some research shows that this feature was removed in r289137 [2]

It's also covered in UPDATING:

20151011:
        Compatibility shims for legacy ATA device names have been
        removed. It includes ATA_STATIC_ID kernel option,
        kern.cam.ada.legacy_aliases and kern.geom.raid.legacy_aliases
        loader tunables, kern.devalias.* environment variables, /dev/ad*
        and /dev/ar* symbolic links.

- Michael

[1] https://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.0R/relnotes-detailed.html
(see 3.2.3)