Re: 11.0 -r301139: WITH_META_MODE=yes vs. "sh: ./make_keys: Exec format error"? [still true of -r301815]

From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg_at_juniper.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 19:14:00 -0700
Mark Millard <markmi_at_dsl-only.net> wrote:
> Cross builds work just fine based on the FreeBSD tree when omitting WITH_META_MODE=.

Hmm must do something odd then.

> As of -r301825 there is almost no use of HOST_CC at the upper levels or in share/mk/*:

Yes, which means if cross-building works it must be requring a separate
walk of the tree or similar dance.
It cannot work by building tools like make_keys in the same pass as the
library, since that would require use of something other than CC.

> > # grep HOST_CC /usr/src/Makefile*
> > # grep HOST_CC /usr/src/share/mk/*
> > /usr/src/share/mk/bsd.compiler.mk:.for var in CC CXX HOST_CC HOST_CXX
>
> where that last does:

Yes, that's for ccache, but I don't see HOST_CC used anywhere.

Sorry, guess I have no clue how cross-building currently works in
FreeBSD, but as is it won't work with DIRDEPS - which pretty much
expects to be able to build the tree in a single pass.

META_MODE should be orgthogonal, but that appears not to be so.