Re: console in 11.0-ALPHA4

From: Maxim Sobolev <sobomax_at_sippysoft.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 11:33:09 -0700
Ed,

For once, we have pretty good VGL support in the libSDL, at least version
1.x has been tested and seems to be building/working fine with
sc(4)+vesa(4) on supported hardware/VMs.

http://libsdl.org/download-1.2.php

So pretty much any application built against SDL 1.2 library should work.
Unless it uses some specific X11 stuff directly that is.

For what it's worth, I also have direct vgl support in my pet project here:
https://github.com/sobomax/digger )

-Max

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 6:29 AM, Ed Maste <emaste_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On the topic of vgl(3) specifically, in October 2014 I wrote on this list:
>
> > vgl(3) is a graphics library for syscons(4) that provides some basic
> > graphics operations (e.g. some mode setting, bitmaps, boxes,
> > ellipses). Right now it does not support the newer vt(4) console.
> >
> > In order to help determine the priority of a porting effort to add
> > vt(4) support I'd like to better understand where vgl is being used
> > now. I'd be interested in hearing about both open source software
> > using vgl as well as proprietary or internal applications. So if
> > you're using vgl I'd appreciate a follow up (in private is fine) with
> > a brief description of your use case.
>
> That received exactly one private reply, where it was pointed out that
> dosbox is an example consumer. Nobody replied to say they actually use
> vgl(3).
>
> I will post a followup to -stable to ask the same question, but
> please, let me know if you use vgl(3) in open source or proprietary
> software.

Maksym Sobolyev
Sippy Software, Inc.
Internet Telephony (VoIP) Experts