Re: PostgreSQL performance on FreeBSD

From: Sean Chittenden <sean_at_chittenden.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 15:42:32 -0700
Small nit:

PostgreSQL used SYSV because it allowed for the detection of dead processes.  If you `kill -9`’ed a process, PostgreSQL can detect that and then shut down and perform an automatic recovery.  In this regard, sysv is pretty clever.  The move to POSIX shared mem was done for a host of reasons, but it means that you don’t have to adjust your SYSV limits.  My understanding from a few years ago is that there is still a ~64KB SYSV memory segment that is still used to act as the latch to signal if a process was killed, but all of the shared buffers are stored in posix mmap’ed regions.

At this point in time this could be replaced with kqueue(2) EVFILT_PROC, but no one has done that yet.

-sc

--
Sean Chittenden
sean_at_chittenden.org