Re: Dropping some locales/encodings?

From: Baptiste Daroussin <bapt_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 10:54:50 +0100
On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 10:58:37AM +0200, Daniel Kalchev wrote:

> > On 1.03.2016 г., at 5:45, Sergey Manucharian <sm_at_ara-ler.com> wrote:
> >
> > Excerpts from Andrey Chernov's message from Tue 01-Mar-16 05:47:

> >> CP1251 is Windows native (single characters mode) and widely used to
> >> represent Cyrillic: Russian, Bulgarian, Serbian, Ukrainian, Belarusian
> >> (i.e. be_BY), Macedonian. IMHO it will be better to not remove it to
> >> make easy handling of native encoded texts comes from Windows.
> >>

> > I agree with Andrey that CP1251 is needed as one of major Cyrillic
> > encodings.
> >
> > Not sure how the locale existence/absence effects that. Definitely nobody
> > uses it as a locale for more than a decade.
> >

> I use daily bg_BG.CP1251 on a lot of workstations, primarily to handle old text documents and source code that contains pre-UTF text. I could imagine similar use case for be_BY.CP1251.
>
> What benefit does it bring to remove an already existing locale?

The benefit is the fact we have no source for those and collation for one are
wrong for those. (We have added proper collation support in head).

But given the feedback I got I will provide them as static (aka non evolving
anymore) while others would get refreshed so no locales will be lost and that
will allow us to continue refreshing others.

Best regards,
Bapt