Re: [CFT] packaging the base system with pkg(8)

From: Slawa Olhovchenkov <slw_at_zxy.spb.ru>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 11:35:35 +0300
On Wed, Mar 02, 2016 at 11:54:29PM +0000, Glen Barber wrote:

> For those who have missed the initial email surrounding this topic, we
> are planning on packaging the base system with pkg(8) for 11.0-RELEASE.
>
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pkgbase/2016-January/000000.html
>
> At this time, I believe the major blockers and critical issues have been
> resolved where it is time for an official call-for-testing.
>
> Please note, as with any development branch, this is not yet intended
> for production environments.  Testing on virtual machines or dedicated
> testing machines is strongly encouraged.
>
> Also note (as repeated below), running 'pkg delete -a' will implicitly
> remove base system packages after they are installed.
>
> To obtain the sources for testing, please use the projects/release-pkg
> branch:
>
>  # svn co svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/projects/release-pkg /usr/src
>
> The projects/release-pkg branch is (at this time) in sync with head
> revision r296327.
>
> After checking out the project branch, build the userland and kernel as
> normal with the 'buildworld' and 'buildkernel' targets.  Afterward,
> packages can be created with the 'packages' target.
>
>  # cd /usr/src
>  # make [make flags] buildworld
>  # make [make flags] buildkernel
>  # make packages
>
> At present, the base system consists of 755 packages with the default

What purpose of this?
At time of split Xorg to multiple packages talk about individual
update single package and don't touching rest. In reality we have
un-obvious garbage fully rebuild on every update.

Also, list of packagess too long and badly mantained on rescue
console (for see and for control).