Re: Contributing

From: Kurt Jaeger <lists_at_opsec.eu>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2016 17:27:01 +0100
Hi!

> I want to start contributing to freebsd, but i don't know how to get
> started.

Cool. The best way to start is the questions_at_ mailing list:

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/

Try to ask and answer questions there, sometimes it's quite challenging 8-)

What is your main interest ? Which programming language, which
application area ? Are you into C programming or what
would be of interest to you ?

> Is there a 'easy-hacks' or 'bugs' list that I can begin with?

There's a page with ideas:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/IdeasPage

and there's the Google Summer of Code ideas page:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCodeIdeas

And if you want to start bug-squashing, dig into

https://bugs.freebsd.org/

and search for interesting bugs to reproduce, and propose patches.

> I have downloaded freebsd-10.2-Release-amd64-bootonly.

One topic that is always hot is testing and integrating new wireless and
other device drivers.

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-wireless/

> I am currently studying Operating system concepts from this book called
> 'Operating system concepts' by Silberschatz. I want to contribute to open
> source while learning from that book.

I recommend reading the general handbook for the concepts:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

Then, if you really want to do operation-system coding, look at the
Developers handbook.

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook

If you want to have start in the application area, look at the
ports tree, and it's handbook:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook

--
pi_at_opsec.eu            +49 171 3101372                         4 years to go !