Re: [CFT] packaging the base system with pkg(8)

From: Glen Barber <gjb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 04:12:18 +0000
On Sun, Mar 06, 2016 at 01:53:42AM +0100, Dimitry Andric wrote:
> On 03 Mar 2016, at 00:54, Glen Barber <gjb_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> > For those who have missed the initial email surrounding this topic, we
> > are planning on packaging the base system with pkg(8) for 11.0-RELEASE.
> > # pkg update -r FreeBSD-base
> > # pkg install -g 'FreeBSD-*'
>
> FWIW, this went all OK for me on the first try, even.  I indeed got 755
> packages, output of "pkg info" and "pkg stat" are attached.

Great.

> I didn't use your lib32 patch, since I don't mind the 32 bit libs to be
> packaged separately.  I got 342 packages with "-lib32" in their names.

It's not a patch for lib32, but a patch to ensure shlibs for the base
system are properly tracked.  Converse to your reply, it tracks shlibs
*except* lib32.

> Any suggestions for specific things to test?

"Do things."  I have this running several machines in my network, one is
a CUPS server on an RPI-B, for example.  Basically, best test cases are
the day-to-day stuff.

> Of course some sort of
> upgrade scenario would be nice to try out, but then I'd have to run
> "make packages" over a newer version of the release-pkg branch...

An upstream repository for an upgrade path is planned, but not until
this is merged to head.  And even after that, infrastructural changes
will be necessary.

That said, I'm doing a MFH to the branch now.

Thank you for testing.

Glen